September 21, 2020
Dear Residents and Staff, Families and Friends,
We are very pleased to report Clare Oaks’ assisted living and skilled nursing care communities have advanced to CMS Phase Two, according to interim guidelines published by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
With our progress, we continue to remain exceptionally vigilant because any change in Clare Oaks’ current status, requires us to return to the most restrictive CMS Phase One until we demonstrate 14 consecutive days with no new cases among our residents. We are awaiting results from last week’s testing so we can not address the consecutive days at this time.
Visits with family and friends
For the first time since March, Clare Oaks can arrange for family members to visit indoors with residents whose health status has sharply declined or whose close relative or friend has passed away. Whenever possible outdoor visits are still recommended.
Clare Oaks also continues to
- Schedule outdoor visitations for all assisted living, memory care and skilled nursing care residents in designated areas on our beautiful campus
- Limit visitors to two people from the same household who agree to comply with the following requirements
- Respond to a phone call for prescreening 24 hours before their visit
- Agree to report any symptoms of COVID-19 that occur during three days after their visit
- Provide their personal contact information to facilitate contact tracing which Clare Oaks will conduct if necessary
- Contact Clare Oaks if they develop symptoms related to COVID-19 within three days of their visit
- Observe all basic safety practices including wearing a face mask, maintain six-foot social distancing and practice hand-hygiene while on campus
While these IDPH guidelines do not apply directly to independent living residents, we encourage independent living residents to continue planning outdoor visitations following the same procedure and schedule.
Clare Oaks still advocates for telehealth visits for all residents unless it is absolutely necessary to see a healthcare professional in person.
Three essential easy-to-follow precautions
Since March, Clare Oaks has been blessed with a low number of cases of COVID-19 including four residents and six staff members, all who have recuperated in accordance with CDC guidelines. So we stringently require all residents and visitors to always
- Wear a mask in all common areas and while interacting with each other
- Observe six-foot social distancing at all gatherings, including outdoor events, and individual encounters when walking in hallways and delivering mail and packages to a neighbor
- Practice hand-hygiene throughout the day
In addition, our staff members follow a regime including
- Screening at the beginning of and during each shift
- Wearing appropriate PPE, when necessary
- Monitoring for clinical changes regarding COVID-19 symptoms all assisted living, memory care and skilled nursing care residents and responding to questions about the virus from independent living residents who monitor themselves
- Maintaining a clean, disinfected community
While it is not in use at this time, Clare Oaks maintains our COVID-19 isolation unit and monitors our inventory of PPE to care for residents if and when they need this support.
Last week, we conducted 241 tests which includes 69 healthcare residents and 172 staff members. We have received the results for 154 of the tests and they are all negative for COVID-19. We are waiting on 87 test results from the lab.
Together, we accomplish so very much in combatting COVID-19. And we truly celebrate and honor everyone who has played a role in caring for Clare Oaks residents and staff.
Stay healthy and safe,
Chief Executive Officer